Thursday, September 6, 2012

The sound of words

On Wednesday, we talked about a play called Under the Milkwood that doesn't seem to make sense to those who experience it. It was written for the enjoyment of words, rather than for a plot, I guess. And this got me thinking of an NPR interview I listened to this summer with screenwriter Aaron Sorkin. He talked about how when he his love for the sound of language began when he was a child; he used to go to the theatre with his parents and see plays that he was far too young to understand, but enjoyed every last one because he loved the flow of the written word as it was being performed.

This makes me think that could be a reason why an audience would love to see Under the Milkwood performed on stage, or even an audience who doesn't know a lick of French listening and enjoying the French language being spoken. Wallace Stevens is a master of taking "words" and transcending them into "art." I still don't really understand what "The Emperor of Ice-Cream" is about, but I can tell you with certainty that I could listen to it being recited again, and again, and again...

No comments:

Post a Comment